Monday, June 04, 2007

Ant & Dec

So, as some of you with good memories might recall, I burbled way back here about the whole famous faces issue of moving to a different country - not having Terry or Natasha Kaplinsky or Ant & Dec...you know, just people you know on t'telly. I've just not watched an entire series of Dancing with the Stars (as they call Strictly Come Dancing here) because I didn't know any of the celebrities involved.
Anyway, this afternoon we got back from a friends birthday and I flicked the telly on a few minutes early for my daily dose of Neighbours. And there were Princes Charles, William and Harry being interviewed. Not very interesting until I realised they were being interviewed by Ant & Dec! Husbink was in a different room and was called with much squeaking of "It's Ant & Dec on t'telly! Ant & Dec on t'telly!" Sadly by the time he made it through, Neighbours had started. He was quite disappointed.
In the UK, Ant & Dec would cause us no excitement at all and as often as not (if not more so) we'd change the channel away from them. But here, where they are a rarity and no one has heard of them, it was VERY exciting! Crazy, aye?

9 comments:

Ellie said...

I know what you mean! I had the same reaction when I saw an advert for a car with a voiceover by Tony Robinson. I was terribly excited and may even have squealed much to the horror of the fiance who didn't understand the garbled explanation of 'but it's BALDRICK's voice!'

AdventuringJen said...

Heh heh heh! That made me giggle aloud, thank you Ellie!
At least Tony Robinson is someone that would normally be a good thing (or at least Baldrick is a good thing)! I'd just been trying to explain who Ant & Dec were to people a few days before (we'd been paint balling and were reminiscing (sp?) about Byker Grove...which no one understood, clearly) which probably added to the excitement!

Ellie said...

Byker, Byker, Byker GROOOVE! (I can't type the accent so you'll have to do it yourself, sorry) :)

Chris said...

Just the word "Spuggy" and I'm right back there...

... wait, I live in England, I bet it's repeated on one of the cable channels!

... wait again... I don't own a TV.

Poo.

AdventuringJen said...

It needs to be "Spuggy man" in my mind (as with Ellie, I can't type the accent...)
Hmm, yes, thank you Ellie, I shall be singing the theme tune all night now...which may not be a bad thing having recently watched an episode of Black Books that contained the Chattanuga Chew Chew and we've both been singing endlessly...while only know a line and a half...

Unknown said...

I was expecting to read a post about myself and Mr Hildrew, but maybe I've got issues I need to deal with!

AdventuringJen said...

heh heh heh
psychotherapy can help you know! ;)

Julietbec said...

Somewhere (I think on the director's commentary to the DVD- wow I'm so sad!) I heard someone point out that the funniest line in Love Actually for a British audience is when Bill Nighy says 'thanks Ant or Dec' (or you know, similar) where that would just pass by in America without so much as a snigger. Weird huh!

I have been too scared to go paintballing ever since the Byker Grove thing. Do you reckon paintballing people sued them for bad advertising?

AdventuringJen said...

Heh heh! They should have done! I was quite scared to go too, and strangely relieved when I found out we were actually shooting rubber balls (OW!!!) at each other than paint...