Friday, July 27, 2007

A mini adventure...

Today was a good day.


Yesterday and today have been Husbink's weekend this week. Yesterday was the getting-the-jobs-done kind of weekend day and today was the everyone-needs-a-sabbath kind of weekend day.













So after a very slow start, we packed a picnic and made our way round to Eastbourne (round the bays from here - further from Wellington by road, probably closer to Wellington as the crow (or rather cormorant/seagull/king shag) flies).

From where we parked we could see across to the Kaikoura mountains of the South Island (currently lightly snowy). (Ok, so it is reasonably only-just-see...)



We picnicked in the car due to the wind but once we'd eat got out for a stroll as the sun had heated the car so much. We pootled on the pebble beach for a while, the pebbles were so warm that it didn't matter that I didn't want to put proper shoes on (I'm turning into a proper Kiwi slowly). Husbink tried to bowl pebbles, I pottered up and down with the camera, playing.
Then we went to a cafe back round a few bays and had cake.
Highly contented me. :)

6 comments:

Amy said...

Mmmm, highly contented me after reading that! Sounds lovely! I am going to have a weekend-in-a-day now I've decided - get all my "stuff" done this morning and then have fun with James and Hannah in the rare burst of sunshine we are experiencing! xx

Mad Medea said...

That looks lovely.... I miss the sea - but off to see the parents this next weekend so sea will be abound!

SuzySnoo said...

Waaa! Husbink bowling pebbles and you pottering with camera!? I miss you!!

That sounds like a brilliant brilliant day!! Great photos, very happy to see them!! And wow them are some mountains!!

Feelings all contented just from reading post! :D

doctor/woman said...

lovely day!! wish i could hear the sea...

Ellie said...

I love the picture of the Kaikoura mountains! It makes me remember what I loved about New Zealand (almost didn't make it to Australia!) :)

AdventuringJen said...

Welshy - glad it works by distance too! Hope you managed a very relaxing afternoon and have a fabulous time at home. xxx
MM - Ooh, yay, have a great time with parents! Just before we came here I realised how much I missed the sea (despite not living near it since I was 9). It isn't quite in our top priorities for where we live next but not far off.
Snoo - We miss you too!! Glad you are feeling contented and liked and photos :) The "learning to draw" book has made it home now...nothing worth reporting yet!!
d/w - :) the sea is very special. a very good creation!
Ellie - glad you did make it to Aus for the future happiness element of a fiance and all that but in most head to heads NZ would beat Aus on scenery for me (Uluru probably being an exception!!) Can't wait to go to Aus in a few weeks though!