Tuesday, November 13, 2007

World Famous in New Zealand Since Ages Ago

One of the things I'm finding most odd about preparing to go home is knowing that Husbink and I now have 18 months of shared culture that no one at home is going to understand or know about.
No one (or basically no one) will know who Dave Dobbyn or Supergroove are
No one will have seen the Trumpet togs/undies ad
No one will know all the words to Why Does Love Do This To Me by The Exponents (compulsory listening for granting of a visa into NZ...)
No one will call their flip-flops jandals or their swimming costumes togs...
And so on...

Of course the flip side to this is that people will understand when I mention Terry, Eurovision, Radio 2, Strictly Come Dancing... People will (hopefully...) understand when I start to sing the Challenge Anneka theme tune whenever required to do something in a limited time frame (though I suspect there might just be one or two people who understand that! And bizarrely it is the thing that comes up most often here that I want to make a reference to and know no one will understand).

Of course, there is also much shared culture. Most films, a lot of music, TV and so on is shared between New Zealand and England (and Australia and the US and...) but even then there is a different take on it all.

What is most strange about this is that it was also one of the hardest things about arriving here. Not knowing who any of the famous people were, not understanding in jokes and cultural comments and all that sort of thing. I'd say we still don't know all that much and there are plenty of times when we are left clueless. But there are times when we are not and it will be just the same when we get home. We've lost 18 months of British culture but we've gained 18 months of NZ culture - when we get confused, we'll just confuse everyone right back!

5 comments:

Rosanna said...

But you have that glorious benefit of having lived overseas, of having seen so much of the world... and of going home to Harrods & WHSmith!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! I still have gaps in my music/tv/culture knowledge from when I was in Swizerland. The oddest thing was I hadn't heard the Bob the Builder song until I came home for Christmas that year...

I've been vaguely trying to acclimatise myself and generally get to know a little of what is going on by listening to NZ podcasts...we shall wait and see if this makes any difference.

And I still sing Challenge Anneka too. There was a one-off Christmas special last year...

AdventuringJen said...

rosanna - :) it has been good - and yes, going home will be good too! 3 for 2 in Waterstones...
ruthina - that must have been odd indeed! (the BtB thing) It will be interesting to see what effect podcasts have in your understanding
And I knew you'd be a Challenge Anneka person...remember decorating the Christmas tree at church and running up into the balcony (leaping over the awful decorations) singing it?!

Amy said...

I didn't know what Big Brother or Popstars: the rivals were when I came back from Germany. A blessing, as it turned out... ;) x

AdventuringJen said...

Heh heh heh! A blessing indeed!!! xxx