Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mo-flamin'-vember

So I think I've done amazingly well to get over half way through Movember without ranting about it...but that show of amazing restraint and will power is now over.
Yes, it is for a good cause. Yes, it is a bonding experience for men all over the country (and I'm sure they could bond with the men in Australia too). But it is an awful, awful thing for a marriage!
The problem is, as I suspect I said around this time last year, is that a mo makes Husbink look like a dirty old man or a sleezy European car sales man or...many other not so flattering things...
And it is also rather painful. Little unsuspecting me who has momentarily forgotten that the monstrosity is there accepts a little peck from Husbink only to recoil in horror: "Ow! Ow! Ow! How did you manage to stab my nose with it?!"
As well as those issues that only relate to Husbink for me, it is just a little nauseating walking round town, the gym, the supermarket, anywhere at the moment. There are VERY few people in the world that suit a moustache and yet here are all these men with squirrels/rats/slugs/whatever attached to their faces. Many of the younger men can't actually grow much of a mo anyway and so you are left with this confusion as you talk to them. "Something isn't right, this person doesn't look like they normally do...oh, I see it, that little line of fuzz on their lip, affecting their entire look..."
Still, I'm sure they all enjoy it...!?!

13 comments:

Mad Medea said...

is it acceptable in movember to also sport a goatee? Might help with the husbink's look...

doctor/woman said...

this should not be allowed! mr me once left himself briefly with one during shaving and traumatised me for weeks! I'd go on kissing strike if I were you!

Amy said...

Hee hee, I'd forgotten all about Movember! Only half of it left now though sweetiepie! :) xx

AdventuringJen said...

MM - I *think* that the one place that has to remain clean shaven is the chin - so you can have a big sideburns-mo combo but not goatee...mostly he is remaining not-quite-clean-shaven which makes it a little better, or did for the beginning at least!
dw - I know! I think you are right on the kissing strike...if it wasn't for a good cause then I think divorce would be an option!! ;)
welsh - yeah, counting the days! ;)

Anonymous said...

I sympathise, my dear. The Boy is banned from ever growing a mo', for charity or for..fun? (I'm unsure of the reasons for growing one!). They seriously give me the creeps. He has now accepted that I am "allergic" to them and always will be :)

AdventuringJen said...

P - That's a good allergy to have!!! I think one of the things that frustrates me is that they aren't even raising money, just "awareness"!

Ellie said...

I have to put up with a fiance with a mo ALL THE TIME! Sympathy please... ;)

AdventuringJen said...

ellie - sympathy! sympathy! but presumably he is one of the rare people that suits it if he keeps it all the time?! And it must have become a little softer surely by being not shiny and new?!

Anonymous said...

I'll have you all know it's a truly beautiful and awe inspiring mo. Well actually it looks dirty and Belgian and you wouldn't leave your kids with me anymore but hey. However if it looked good then there really would be no point in it. Remember look after your man's health because he wont bother!

Rosanna said...

You're so funny. Not long to go now - then you can get rid of that pash rash!

AdventuringJen said...

Husbink - Has anyone asked you why you have a mo?
Rosanna - glad it tickled you :) counting the hours...(221)

SouthOzBloke said...

It's all true about Movember.
I think I'm going to have to change my name to Earl and rent a caravan for the rest of Movember.
My fiance is getting pash-rash and my sister thinks I look like a serial killer.

AdventuringJen said...

southozbloke - heh heh heh.
Not many days to go now...then 11 months off...