Friday, September 21, 2007

Falling Over




Husbink starts nights tonight so got up at 5am this morning (so that he could be tired by lunch time and go back to sleep). When I got up he made me pancakes (yum) and we still had a few hours to kill before he needed to sleep and it is yet another beautiful day (yay) so we decided we had to go somewhere. And after a bit of umming and ahhing we thought we'd go to Mt Victoria in Wellington - for the views from the top and also it allegedly has many Lord of the Rings filming sites (according to our book). We know now that we will never actually find the sites listed in said book but it usually provides a decent enough trip out.

We got to the lookout and I had much fun snap happying the views and the planes landing and taking off. Then we went to climb an extra little bit to get more views (particularly decent views back to the Hutt) and that is when the falling started happening. I suppose that makes it sound like there was heaps and heaps of falling but really, I'm an adult, falling over twice in the space of five minutes probably counts as "heaps of falling". My old and battered trainers (I had them last time we were out this way so they are over four years old) just could not cope. The first fall I had the camera in my hands and so all I was thinking about was not breaking it - so my elbow got a little broken instead. The second fall was a rather more classic feet-from-under-me-on-my-bum...
So we gave up on Mt Vic and the paths around it and took a little detour on the way home to the Botantic Gardens. Where they really believe it is spring. It was beautiful.

8 comments:

doctor/woman said...

oh dear! has the falling over stopped? was it just a temporary glitch in the jen spatio-mechanical awareness world? I always feel a bit bad when I ask elderly patients how many times they've fallen in the last year, because I suspect I will have fallen more times than them, being a bit of a clumsy one. hope husbink's nights are ok. xx

AdventuringJen said...

hee hee!
Yes, I seem to have stopped falling over - I had a headache lurgy during the week and it did seem to affect my coordination rather a lot...
Husbink's nights going well so far - and only one to go :)
xxx

Rosanna said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos. I love the 'daydream' one - it suits so perfectly..

AdventuringJen said...

Thank you Rosanna :) I think I could have sat by the "daydream" flowers all day

Rosanna said...

I think I could have, too... and you've been to Sweden? Where did you go? How did you like it? I speak Swedish so I love all things Sweden :)

Mad Medea said...

Hello, I'm back from our adventures. Suddenly understand your New Zealand - "wouldn't want to live anywhere else" - as Husband and I have had it in New England (so much space, the light, the mountains, the lakes, the trees)......

AdventuringJen said...

Rosanna - I'm ashamed to say that at the moment, I can't quite rememnber where in Sweden we were - my brother was there for a year at Lulea (sp?!) at uni and we went and met him for a couple of weeks skiing, north of Stockholm, south of Lulea! I'd love to explore that part of Europe more one day... How come you speak Swedish?!
MM - Welcome back! Glad you had a great time. New England is lovely, I don't remember it much as I haven' tbeen there since we lived in the US but glad you have somewhere to have fallen in love with :)
xxx

Rosanna said...

Just one of the weird things I do... My family is from Sweden.

Its spelt LuleƄ :) I hope you had fun! It's the best part of the world xo