Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Priorities

A while back, as I think you know but I'm not going to do all that back reading to be sure, I was all set to tell the temping agency to take me off there books. I didn't need work financially and I wasn't going to keep doing dreadful jobs (like the day in the tobacco firm or the awful, awful call centre) just for the sake of it. Instead, I would fill my time with voluntary stuff and other such priorities.
Then the agency brought out the prison job. Which I loved, and which I told them I would happily do again (or other work in the prison or...). And then they come up with a job in a school - the work itself is probably going to be of the dishwater variety but I'm quite keen to go into a school and maybe if I make some friends there I could observe a class or two and decide whether or not Husbink is mad for suggesting I do a PGCE when we get home... (Admittedly the school I'm going into at this point is primary and I'd be wanting to do secondary if anything but at least it means the agency knows what interests me).
All these other things that I had decided were priorities are now having to jostle their way in. I'm still working very part time (I finished on Tuesday at lunchtime and I next work next Thursday) but I had successfully filled my time with other things. Some of which it is easy to squeeze out whether or not I want to.
I'm quite happy to be going with the flow, it is all part of this adventuring thing, and while good work is turning up, I can take it, as long as I remain happy to turn down the naff jobs. But I do feel a little like a reed blowing in the wind making my decisions this way. The only thing that is a set priority is that I don't work Sundays and I make sure that Husbink and I have at least one day fully off together a week. Should I be more decisive and set more priorities? More definites? More fixed points? Or is blowing in the wind a valid way to go, for now at least? I think as time goes on the priorities will become clearer, as I cease to have the time to do everything, it will be obvious what I need to be doing.

7 comments:

Mad Medea said...

I think going with the flow is a valid lifestyle choice at the moment honey - they'll be plenty of time later to be restricted by kiddes and jobs!

Mad Medea said...

P.S. My friend Tom is about to start a PGCE in Cambridge if you want some up to the minute info!

doctor/woman said...

going with the flow sounds lovely, as someone whose career path has been more or less laid in front of her feet for the last 8 years...

AdventuringJen said...

MM - thank you for the affirmation! :) In which way is your friend doing a PGCE in Camb - through Homerton (if they do them), Anglia or OU? (I'd be intrigued by the different styles and how someone chose!!)
d/w - yes, pluses and minuses on both sides I guess...I hope you feel able to be flowy in other areas :)

Rosanna said...

I think going with the flow is a good way to go, also. That's how I live my life. Mostly. Unless I start swimming against the flow.

The prison job sure sounds interesting.

AdventuringJen said...

Rosanna - it doesn't come all that naturally to me, I'm mostly a planner. But that is a lot of why I think it will be good for me to go with the flow for a while.
The prison was so interesting. The work was good and just the whole context was so interesting

Mad Medea said...

Tom is going to Uni of Cambridge. I think he's actually not in Homerton. He understands collegiate Universities more than me (he's ex Durham and Oxford) - so it was something about you can be in a college that isn't Homerton and still do PGCE. I don't understand. He's on my facebook friends so feel free to drop him a line. Although I think he is in a hammock at the moment!