Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Blogging in my head

Over the past week while I have been quiet on here, I have written heaps of blogs in my head. They were incredibly entertaining, showing masterful wit, inspiring, heart warming pieces. Of course, you'll have to take my word for it because I never got the chance to write them down and one by one they were driven from my mind...
Ah well. I've finished at the prison now. I've got a cold. (But not as badly as many people round here have had it.) Generally I feel a bit mushy.
And I'm looking through pictures on facebook of a friend's wedding. Well, I guess a friend of a friend. We were in the same "group" at school but were never quite friends in our own right. It is odd looking through the pics in that whole "here are people I was friends with now I'm not really and yet there they all are" way. Which is something that facebook does a lot. Shows me heaps of people that were at one point important in my life to varying degrees and yet now I have nothing to do with them except this little facebook string. Mostly this just produces an "oh right" kind of feeling in me. It is nice to see what people are up to, that they are doing well, whatever, but that is about as far as it goes. I'm not really saddened that we aren't friends any more and thus I'm not jubilant that we have this way of becoming friends again. But I'm not horrified either.
But there are one or two that this fake contact with really saddens me. The friends that I never understood why we lost touch anyway. Facebook doesn't seem to have provided the way back in those cases. Yes, we are "friends" according to facebook but there is no renewed communication or any other sign of actual friends. And it makes me feel really yucky though I'm not sure I can describe it any more eloquently than "yucky". Certainly a little sad and a little confused but also just a mush of undefined memories that come up with thinking about these people. And as they are mainly teenage memories there is a whole heap fo angsty yuck that I haven't really felt in years.
There is a plus side, there are a few people who I'd lost touch with through no good reason that facebook has made a difference too. A couple of friends who really are friends again now and that is great. And a couple of people that I hadn't lost touch with but we hadn't found the best way to communicate over all these thousands of kilometres and facebook seems to have provided that method.
In other news, we had a lunar eclipse last night. Except it was very cloudy. Hey ho.

5 comments:

Mad Medea said...

I'm with you on the strange yucky feeling..... a think a part of you never really finishes growing up...

doctor/woman said...

i know what you mean. it is cool to see what people are up to now and stuff. but I just don't think there's time to be proper friends with everyone from your whole life. I barely have time to see my proper friends regularly. what is the answer? i don't know.

AdventuringJen said...

MM - yeah. There have been things recently that have made me aware of how much I've forgotten what being a teenager/student/whatever was like...but there are other things that make it seem like only yesterday the emotions, thoughts and so on are so "there"
d/w - I've emailed someone today who Husbink and I think of a LOT but this is perhaps the first proper email I've sent since we got here...how do we work out who to keep in touch with?!

Ellie said...

The Other Half was on the phone to me just before the eclipse and kept lapsing into silence as it progressed.

Apparently the clouds didn't reach bowen until just after it had become total, so he was happy :)

p.s I get that feeling that I've been just a bit wierd ALL THE TIME. Odd :)

AdventuringJen said...

Ellie - Tee hee hee! I'm sure it is a good kind of weird!
Glad the Other Half got good views. It was a bit cold to stay outside too long so I was almost relieved that the colds came and went - got a glimpse but didn't have to stay shivering too long!