Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Cake!

As many of you will know, I like cake. If I want/need a treat, it will be cake. Cake is not for everyday but for special days - birthday cakes, Christmas cakes, feeling-bleugh-cakes, holiday cakes, going away cakes, it's Thursday cakes...ok, so it doesn't have to be much of a special day but, on the whole, cake isn't what I have in my house all the time for general munching. That is reserved for biscuits. :)
So, anyway, as you will probably be aware (I think I've gone on about it?!), I'm quite into baking at the moment. And Husbink has been missing a cake that his mum makes so he got the recipe and I made it yesterday. I've made it once before and while I was mixing it, it didn't seem right. Fundamentally, I was still making a fruit cake, but I remembered the cake that Husbink wanted being remarkably easy to make. This cake was not easy. But I persevered, assuming it was the lack of gym time over the last few months that was making it quite so physically draining! Into the oven it went...
Three hours later, it turned out that I'd made a full on Christmas cake (I didn't recognise it as such due to the lack of alcohol in the recipe...). Oops. Still, the weather is feeling right today! So today I have had my first attempt at marzipanning and proper icing a cake. I'm quite chuffed. (Clearly, I should have taken a photo to put here but perhaps I can be more chuffed if I leave it to your imaginations and you can imagine the most beautiful cake you've seen...) And then I made apple cookies. Just so there was more bad stuff in the house. Or should that be good stuff? On Thursday, I'm going to make chocolate caramel muffins...

3 comments:

Amy said...

Jen, Jen - you don't need to impress me, you know; if you want to make the cakes for after our wedding service then you only needed to say! ;) xx

Mad Medea said...

I like the sound of chocolate caramel muffins... but my jam doughnut muffins are still rocking my world!

AdventuringJen said...

le welsh - ah...well...it might not be quite that good just yet...I have now taken a picture of it to send to my disbelieving mother... and the way my arm feels today, I'm never going to be baking again!!!
MM - Mmm! I don't know about the doughnut part (in that I don't know what about the muffin makes it doughnuty!) but jam filled muffins very yummy! In a note to that, if you are mince pie fans, then christmas muffins with spices and dollop of mincemeat in the middle, sooooo good! (and I'll let you know how the caramel part goes...it could be an adventure!)