Friday, January 12, 2007

Home again, home again, jiggidy jig...

I'm feeling a little un-waffly at the moment which is unusual I know...so this may just be a bit of news for you and some pics as I've been remiss on them for a while...
We got back yesterday from a few nights away in Martinborough - just an hour away from here but over the hills so quite different landscape and weather. And a boutique wine growing region. We were in need of a bit of a break for a number of reasons and so grabbed the chance and it was very refreshing. Wednesday was lousy weather here but it got a bit better, or at least a bit warmer as we went over the hill (once we'd come down from being in the clouds again...) and we were quickly settled into our little cottage.
We had a pootle round town and spent some time in the tourist information place trying to work out what to do the next day. Then we ate cake. :) Before a snooze. Before more eating. It was a good day!
On Thursday, we were unable to believe how nice the day was and so set off for a long walk between various vineyards with too warm clothing on and not enough water. But the vineyards supplied us with bottles of water and we stayed in the shade as much as we could and mostly survived. We tasted I think 11 different wines. All very interesting, really quite a different texture and so on to northern hemisphere wines. But I'll keep my wine waffle to myself and just say it was yummy and we were happy. We had lunch at one vineyard which was very tasty and whiled away the afternoon at another, sitting under the shady rose-covered gazebo.
Generally a very good break. Until we were just about to fall asleep on the second night at which point I suddenly became allergic to something. No amount of antihistamines or nose blowing could relieve me and it wasn't until we'd been home again for about six hours that I returned to feeling normal. That wouldn't stop me going back though.
We stopped for a brief walk on the way home on Friday but with my lack of being able to breathe, I wasn't really in the zone. Pretty flowers though.



Once home, Husbink had to go to sleep cos he's on nights this weekend (starting last night) so I had to attempt to make our costumes for a fancy dress party in the evening. We had to go as something beginning with F. We went as flies. This was Husbink's idea. I was initially unimpressed but ultimately got into it...we had six legs, wings, goggles for eyes and antenna. We accept this may not have been entirely accurate but felt we needed something on our heads...sadly, there are currently no pictures of me. So one of Husbink will have to do (we gave up on having the goggles on our eyes very quickly!)





Hmm, you can't really see much of the costume can you? Hey ho...I've uploaded it now and that has sapped half my life away so I'm not going to delete it!

6 comments:

Mad Medea said...

Great pics - love the little cottage - me want one.

Tip relating to pics - compress the files before you upload them - they are frickin' huge! (Feel free to tell me off for being smarty pants). I've been cataloguing all our photos with Picasa (free from Google) it has an automatic 'reduce for email' setting....if you fancy taking the time to download it.

MMxx

AdventuringJen said...

S'ok little miss smarty pants! I know they are huge - but the only way we can find of compressing them on our software loses lots of the quality - so we do it for the shutterfly big loads but for here I like decent quality. I'm sure there must be a way to do it but neither of us have found it yet...so any more pointers gratefully received!
(and they are extra huge cos of our camera...the ones from the old camera, much smaller!)
And glad you like! :)
xxx

SuzySnoo said...

Oh the wonderfulness of this post! It's all summery and nice and it makes me wish we could sit in the sun drinking wine with you. Sigh.
Looks like you had a great time. Good for you!!

I fixed my comments by the way!

SuzySnoo said...

About the photo thing. What I do is resize to around 800px wide (or around 500px for portrait), then use something to sharpen the image slightly. Then I save it using a bit of jpeg compression, usually 500kb max.
But you'd be better finding a nikon forum and finding out what other user's work process or resizing techiques are.
It gets even more complex if you shoot in RAW!!!

Amy said...

Ah, such happiness :) Me also want cottage; and sunshine, to be quite truthful... although it isn't really cold here at the moment, is it Snoo and MM? Just dark and a bit rainy and very very windy. So I want some sunshine. Especially as I appear to be allergic to absolutely everything at the moment!

AdventuringJen said...

Snoo - We want you to sit in the sunshine and drink wine with us too! I shall pop by again now and leave many comments!! Thanks for pic advice. We try to avoid RAW most of the time, it causes all sorts of problems, but every once in a while Husbink gets carried away...
Welsh - Hope you stop being allergic to all and sundry soon! And that you get to dry out too!