Sunday, October 21, 2007

Association

To tie memories together, there is nothing stronger for me than music.
There are a few smells that bring up powerful associations (there is a smell in my grandparents house, I don't know what it is, must be the soap they use or the washing powder or something but their house always smells of it and very few other places do) but nothing comes close to music for the strength of association.

I cannot watch 20th Century Fox films from the beginning unless I want to spend the whole film wishing I was watching Star Wars instead. Not that I don't enjoy other 20th Century Fox films, not that Star Wars is my favourite film (but must be in the top ten - possibly even 3 out of 6 would be in the top ten, anyway, I digress), but the link from the Fox music to the Star Wars theme is so strong that I cannot stop myself singing the Star Wars theme at the end of the Fox music. It was a very clever piece of marketing/music making/whatever you'd like to call it that put the initial blast of the theme music so close to the end of the Fox theme and, in some respects, so similar in style - both their own kind of pomp and circumstance. Husbink certainly has the same experience (and had it independent of me); I wonder how many Star Wars fans are inflicted with this problem?

There is a tape that my brother gave me for my 15th or 16th birthday. It is an EP and only has 5-6 songs on it. I listened to that tape over and over and over again (in the way that only a 15/16 year old can) - while reading Lord of the Rings for about the 4th time. I can neither read Lord of the Rings without thinking of that music nor listen to that music without thinking of Lord of the Rings. Sadly it conjures some of the darker parts of Lord of the Rings and leaves me feeling a little floobly. I just tracked down one of the songs on YouTube to see if it still had the same effect, to be sure I wasn't lying to you. It does, I wasn't, I feel floobly. (Oh, goodness me, by tracking that song down on YouTube, I've also seen this song, my bro listened to this NON STOP when I was about 14. His bedroom was above the kitchen so we all listened to it non stop as it reverberated through the ceiling. My mum made up her own random words for the song because she couldn't make out any of the real ones. Now I'm sitting at the computer, headbanging.)

This morning I cycled to church at about 7.10am (as the sun was breaking over the hills, it was beautiful) to watch the rugby world cup final (once and for all, yes, I'd have liked England to win but I'm not gutted - i think it far better for the sport for a different team to win each year). Cycling along, singing to myself, the song that came to mind was Vindaloo. Because there was a world cup (admittedly the wrong sport) in France. And what can you sing at such a time but Vindaloo? (Perhaps cycling down a quiet street in a nation fundamentally supporting the opposition singing "we're Eng-a-land! We're gonna score one more than you! England!" wasn't the best thing to do...) And of course, singing Vindaloo sends me back to 1998, to that world cup but more to the point, to the end of A levels, the end of my school career, my leavers ball when there was an England game...and we won...and the rest of the evening all the DJ played was Vindaloo and this (not as good as the original, though to be fair you might be pushed to notice the difference). And that was fine with all of us. We had set moves by the end of the night. Teachers included.

I could carry on and on, song after song, as each one takes me to a different memory. But I'll finish with just one last one. One that actually set me off thinking about this.

On Friday nights, I used to go to drama group at church (hello ruth) and, as often as not, my Dad would pick me up afterwards. And we would listen to songs that we liked too loud, singing along and being silly. One such song was this. I think it was this song that led to me sticking my feet out of the sun roof (to see if I could, and then because I could) on more than one occasion. However, the song I was thinking of was this one. I still love this song, now for so many reasons (Terry Wogan singing along being one of them). But what I remember most and is still the thing that makes me happiest when I hear this song; trying to come back in at the right time after the second break. There are two breaks in this song, one near the beginning which is an easy count and you can all come back in right on time but the second break is random, you can't count it, you just have to know. And we would sing this song over and over, me and my dad, trying to get the break right and collapsing in giggles when we didn't. Yesterday, driving to the fruit market, I got it right. :)

5 comments:

Rosanna said...

I love Lord of the Rings - Enyas music is haunting. Which I know wasn't the point of this post, but I do love Enya :)

You are right - music is such a strong conjurer of memories...

Ellie said...

I know what you mean about the pauses! I always come in a beat too early in the second one :D

That one always makes me think of sitting with friends on the swings in the park in the village singing at the top of our voices. Also always makes me think of Hazard, no idea why.

AdventuringJen said...

rosanna - it's always good to tangent in the comments - something I do far too often so I'm glad you do too. :)
ellie - do you also play the watching 24 DVDs and trying to get the boops right game? Seeing as they are different each time, that one really extends the challenge! Nice to hear your associated memories too :)

Kezzie said...

I understand that whole association with books and music thing, and Yes, totally get the Star Wars thing!
2 weeks ago I discovered that 'The Dark is rising' (a fab kids book by Susan Cooper)has been made into a film. On that same day, I went to play in an orchestra rehearsal and concert of Shostakovitch's 9th symphony. We rehearsed the 2nd movement extensively (and 2nd flute only plays for 8 bars of it). I sat and read. It was at that moment, I found myself thinking of 'the Dark is rising' and finding myself recalling the book in my head. I then remembered that the last time (and first) I played this piece, that I had been reading 'The dark is rising' for the first time, and we had rehearsed it loads and I now cannot seperate the two in my mind! The music suited the book sooo well. If I see that film now, I shall think the soundtrack is a load of poop!
Hello by the way!

AdventuringJen said...

hey kezzie :)
Perhaps you should contact the people who've made the film and make sure they change the soundtrack!? That is quite an impressive bit of memory-linkage and association! Always good to hear of cool kids books I'd not heard of previously :)