Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Overlander & Auckland

So...in my attempts to keep holiday posts reasonably sized, here is the first of several...


Just over two weeks ago Husbink and I took the Overlander all the way from Wellington to Auckland. We left Wellington at 7.25am and arrived in Auckland at 7.20pm having had a 45 minute break at National Park, half way. It was a beautiful journey and we saw some much of the country. But nearly twelve hours on a train is still a blooming long time. I've also had a slightly peculiar back pain since then so I don't think the seats were made for me...





The pics are of me and the Overlander at National Park and also a scene Husbink was rather taken with during the break at National Park. We took LOTS of pics from the train but they didn't work so well...




We stayed in the International YHA in Auckland which was tolerable (my days of hostelling are pretty much over...I may have said this before). On Friday night we actually had more energy than a 12 hour journey might imply so after a yummy Japanese meal round the corner from the hostel (quite Little Tokyo for those of you that know it) we wandered into Auckland and ended up having champagne cocktails and pudding. Yum!

Saturday we were a little slow deciding what we wanted to do and so missed the ferries to the most interesting islands just off Auckland. We did however take the ferry across to Devonport which is something I remember doing on my first visit to Auckland nearly 8 years ago. (I was very jetlagged and was guided around by my lovely friend who had been travelling a bit longer and was rather more alive!) The view is great and we had a lovely stroll, lunch, stroll and climbing of big hill before heading back over to Auckland. We then did much mooching in shops and managed to purchase Husbink's birthday present from his parents - a second lens for the camera with mighty zoom. Bet you can't wait for the bird photos...But for now, our ferry and Auckland will have to do!




The rest of Saturday involved baklava (twice), tapas, tio pepe sherry, spanish wine...It was really nice to be somewhere properly cosmopolitan for a wee while... (I was excessively excited at the sight of Borders on Friday evening. 3 for 2. Open til 10pm. Books. Ah.)
I forgot to mention the bit where I went on a swing. :) That was fun.
So that was the first segment of the holiday...the next day we collected my parents and headed for the beach...well, sort of! But that, as they say, is another post...

2 comments:

Mad Medea said...

Nice to see you having a good time. Keep 'em coming.

MMxx

Pomgirl said...

I loved reading this, and illustrated with fab photos too! And you look so happy, me dear.