Monday, February 26, 2007

More on Modernising Medical Careers... (And a bit of honesty)

I know I'm not yet finished with the holiday postings but I thought this was a worthy topic for a break...
So, we have found that South Yorkshire (basically Sheffield) would like to interview Husbink for one of these great big seven year jobs. Tonight, he will call them and find out if they are willing to interview him over the phone. It is a long way to go for a 45 minute interview...
I feel quite confused by it being Sheffield that want to interview him as that seems to me like the easy option of the places we had selected. It is close enough to Leeds that we can still see people. We have one very good friend already in Sheffield and a number in spitting distance. We'll still be pretty close to both sets of parents. Generally, we mostly know what life will be like (approximately) if we end up in Sheffield. Which is really confusing. I was expecting it to be one of the harder options like Wessex - putting us close to various friends but not really close to any one - or North Western - putting us closer to Husbink's family and Mr & Mrs Scouse Dangermouse but further from my parents and generally further from most people... So yeah, I'm kinda unsure how I feel about the "easy" option - it has just thrown me a bit.
Of course, we are no where near there yet...we still have to persuade them that a phone interview is possible and that they then want Husbink (but really, why wouldn't they?!) and then do all the moving back again malarkey, but yes, it confuses me.
It also confuses me because I don't know what I want. Or what the right thing to do is. (And this is the honesty bit.) I realised that all our friends, and even people we don't know that well, over here know that we are torn about where we want to live but that I have been not really telling people "over there" that we might be a bit torn. I was thinking it all had to be cut and dried and I could only say "yes, we are definitely coming home" or "actually, we are staying for at least another year" or whatever it might have been.
You see, we miss you (those of you that are "over there"). And we miss the BBC. And we miss Britishness sometimes. We miss 56 Oriental. We miss the Cardy (or any form of local). But we would miss the attitude to life here (I'm sorry, I'm not sure I can explain it, I didn't really believe in it before coming here). We would miss our hills. And the bays. We would miss the cafes here. And of course, there are now people here that we would miss if we left them.
So at the moment, we are pushing doors both ways. If Husbink gets a job at South Yorkshire then chances are we will come home for it. If he doesn't get a job, chances are we won't come home just yet. Though then there would be all kinds of visa questions and so on. So who knows.
But I thought maybe I should be letting you know.
I guess after this evening and the phone call to the nice people in Sheffield, we may know a little bit more.
Wibble.

8 comments:

Pomgirl said...

Sheffield versus New Zealand? Hmm.

Sorry, I know I'm not being very fair (and I am biased) but I also wanted to say that you are not alone in being undecided about where you want to 'be'.

And I wanted to say other helpful, wise and soothing things. Wish you were closer so we could have a beer and a chat.

Px

Amy said...

Wibble indeed. I read all of this thinking "yay yay yay, Sheffield would be amazing and we could see you lots and go to the ice hockey together and maybe even triple date with Tim and Em!" and then you said you were wibbling about whether to actually come home (do I get the car if you don't?! ;) ) and I found myself not thinking so much "wibble" that you might not, but "wibble! They mustn't come home if they will miss it too much and the cafes and bays and all...!" And that confused me, because of course I really want you in Sheffield (can I offer to sleep with a consultant to get Husbink the job or something? Only joking. Obviously. But I could do flirtatious over dinner if it were absolutely necessary I suppose...) but I really only want you to be happy.
Mffff.
xx

PS Pom: don't actually state out loud the "Sheffield/NZ" dilemma! Honestly, we want them to at least think about it! ;)

Anonymous said...

Ah jen I do love you and the fact that you are completely thrown by a nice option (if returning to the UK) possibly being available to you!

Praying for you.
R :)

AdventuringJen said...

Ah, you're all great. :)
Pom - Thank you for understanding. A beer and chat would be fab. :) They've started these new random super cheap Air NZ fares at the moment -mostly within NZ but if one ever comes up for your side of the ditch...
Welshy - Indeed, you would be a big bonus of Sheffield! We currently still don't know about the whole telephone interview thing as Andy couldn't get through to the right person last night and eventually decided at 2am to give it a break...He left a message though and there might be an email for him but I'm resisting looking as he is still sleeping...
G - Thank you darling. Love you too.
xxx

So, thank you all for lovely things said. And to the people who emailed the lovely things too.
Doesn't make it any easier... ;) I just hope it becomes perfectly obvious...sigh...

doctor/woman said...

From a purely selfish point of view - come home! to this country where it is raining and everyone is stressed about MMC... But the daffodils are coming up at the bottom of the garden... I know it will all become clear for you sooner or later. And wherever God wants you is where you should be xxxx

AdventuringJen said...

:) Your selfishness is also appreciated d/w!
And daffodils are lovely.
I shall do a proper update soon but it appears that the powers that be in the MMC haven't contemplated the possibility of people applying from overseas...Sheffield are discussing whether anything can be done...
But yes, I'm sure it will all become clear in God's time
xxx

Mad Medea said...

I'm here, I'm here.... what have I missed? (brief slap around face). Yes I would be sad to lose you to the down under... but I get being torn between places as I'm getting yearnings for trying living elsewhere (me like Europe).

We won't book our holiday to the US (I'm working Husband) for the Autumn in case we can come and see you!

MM.xx

AdventuringJen said...

Hurrah! (On the coming to see us if we stay front!)
South Yorks haven't been in communication so...but we don't know what immigration will have to say. I will of course be keeping you posted...