Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I have decided

So. The journalism course. That didn't go so well. :s
BUT. In a very helpful sort of way. I'd been pondering journalism (quite a bit at Husbink's encouragement) for quite a long time and, although some of my issues with the course are with the course, I have now established that it isn't something I want to do. I'm not, umm, hmm, thing enough. I'm really not quite sure what thing is. It's not that I'm not curious enough. It's not that I'm not disciplined enough.
If anything (and this is going to sound quite dumb and like I should have known beforehand), it's just that I don't like reading magazines all that much. Meh.
So, I've paid for it, I can't have a refund, I'll still receive all the tutorials. There have been some interesting nuggets in what I've read already so I'm sure I'll read through them all at some point and that what I pick up will be useful so I'm not beating myself up over this. What I am doing is being fairly sure what it is I want to do now. Which is quite a marvel for me!
1) I want to be a mum. Well, durrrr!
2) I want to be a tutor. As I finished with my GCSE students a few weeks ago I realised just how much I enjoy tutoring. I currently have a couple of younger students (who are very hard work) and I briefly had an adult student that I may pick up with again in September. These are both good but it is actually the year 9/10/11 stage that I really enjoy. It is fun maths, easy enough for me to teach and also the bit where many people suddenly realise a flare for some part of the subject. It's great! I know I won't have any new students for a year now (probably) but I know I'll want to go back to it as soon as I can.
3) I want to make a serious go of getting one of my novels published. I will finish editing. I will do my research. I will send it off to all the right people. It may not come to anything but it is certainly not going to come to anything wasting away on my laptop semi-finished. This was the main thing that became absolutely clear from the journalism course. I love to write and I love to write what I love to read - I love to read novels, I love to write novels. I don't love to read articles, I don't love to write articles. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Pomgirl said...

Good luck, Jen! It's only by trying things that we realise what we do and don't like and what we might be passionate about. I think you have a very good plan x

suncloud said...

Loving Pomgirl's comments. Doing IT work recently as a day job has been fine and dandy ish... but it just helps to show how much I love what it is I do normally, and how out of place I am out of that environment.
I'm pretty glad you want to be become a mum, it's a pretty cool thing to be I've heard, although hard work... And well durrrrrr indeed...
(Word verification unitsmo)

Amy said...

Woop for you! I like it when you make decisions - it gives me hope that I might grow up into a person who can make decisions one day ;) x

Mad Medea said...

Yeah! Three cheers for experimentation! It's how we learn best. You go for it girl.... and if you want any contacts in my literature deparment let me know. In fact we have an MA in Children's Literature......

AdventuringJen said...

P - Thanks :) I currently have lots of enthusiasm for editing...it is good!
S - :) She's fab isn't she? Any idea when you'll find your way back to what you do? Hope is it soon
lW - Don't let me fool you! I'm only pretending to be an adult!
MM - Thanks :) I will. It's still a long road but if I take my father in law's advice about when to start Mat leave, I might have a decent chunk of time on my hands!

Kezzie said...

Good on you! It's nice to be able to make a firm decision and be at peace with it! Oooh, and book sounds exciting!