Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I do feel rather sorry for Mr Brown

I know it isn't fashionable and I suspect it isn't sensible but I do feel really rather sorry for Gordon Brown at the moment.
I've had a soft spot for him for years and years since his baby died. (My mum wrote to him as someone who had been through the death of a baby and at that point was working for FSID (Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths - you know why they prefer to use the initials!) to empathise and received a very kind letter back - not entirely personal but not entirely impersonal either. It was enough to impress me.)
So anyway, I suspect the poor chap should never have become PM under any circumstances but certainly not under the circumstances that he did. And now the world seems to be falling apart beneath him, poor poppet.
He's not an upfront leader type. He's not charismatic. He doesn't inspire people. He shouldn't be there. But now he is do we have to be so horrid all the time? Yes, he should resign and maintain just a little bit of dignity (actually, I think it is too late for that - his only shot at dignity now is for something AMAZING to happen that vindicates everything he's ever done...so holding on and hoping perhaps is *his* best option just now) but please, please, please can we/they/everyone just be a smidgy bit nicer to him while he goes?

7 comments:

Pomgirl said...

Oh, I nearly wrote a post about this. I think he is one of the few politicians from an older, less media savvy age, who don't flaunt their family and personal tragedies to the world. He also lives with the constant fear of going blind which he deals with quietly and with dignity. I think he cares enormously for this country and wants a fair, just society that includes everybody.

But! Politically he has made so many mistakes, and his PM-ship has no legitimacy. I particularly think how he dealt with Hazel Blears compared to other members of the cabinet made him seem petty.

After waiting so long to be PM, he has faced two major crises unheard of in recent political history, that any incumbent party would struggle with. I fear there is no dignified way for his leadership to end, and he will nurse the failure for the rest of his life.

Makes me sad.

AdventuringJen said...

Ah, your comment expressed it all so much better than my post :) I have to say though I've missed out on some details - I'm not quite sure I know how he dealt with Ms Blears but I have to say I'd be inclined to be petty towards her, just looking at her makes me feel slightly sick...not a rational opinion I'm aware!

Pomgirl said...

I totally agree, and think many people feel that way towards Blears. I think she acted completely out of self-interest but also think GB should have either sacked her immediately along with the other cabinet members who avoided paying capital gains tax and flipped their houses, or reprimanded them all in the same way. Now, she bears a grudge and could damage him further. Horrible woman.

I'm really wondering if he will survive this coming week.

AdventuringJen said...

He's made it so far...though I have to say on Friday I heard breakfast news and then nothing for the rest of the day and did wake up in the night (not because of this but because I do, a lot) wondering if he was still there... I'm not sure I favour any of the possible successors though. I don't see much chance of them getting through the next election. Which in some respects I suppose is no bad thing for the country as 12 years is a reasonably long stint. But I can't think of many things more sickening than Dave as PM!

Pomgirl said...

That's why I don't understand Labour MPs wanting to remove Brown, a new leader would mean a General Election and the likelihood of Dave as PM. *shudder*

I know this isn't what we are discussing but I was so shocked that Yorkshire elected a BNP candidate to the European Parliament. I didn't vote (discovered I was not on the electoral register) and now feel very guilty.

Kezzie said...

Me too, Completely agree with the pair of you. There's been such a Brouhaha & the media are complete tyrants & just want to wreck people. I've never voted labour, but still I think people really aren't helping matters by being so infernally mean just like you say!

AdventuringJen said...

P - yup, so ashamed. I wasn't going to vote, thinking I didn't care or know enough about Euro elections...but Husbink pointed out the BNP danger so made me go and do it...
Kezzie - Hello :)I think I might've voted Labour once...but I've usually lived in Labour strongholds though so havne't felt the need to. If that makes sense. IT doesn't does it?!