Thursday, August 14, 2008

I Miss You

One of the least fun things about all this moving is all the people you have to keep leaving.
One of the very best things about this move is that we are now in fairly easy reach of lots of lovely people - doctor/woman, snoo, associated husbands (hmm, I think Husbink should start a sports team or a quiz team or a support group or anything really called "associated husbands") and several more besides. But they are still a drive away or a train away or something other than a very quick pop.
It has helped spectacularly with the settling in to see doctor/woman and mr me on Saturday (they got to watch me do some un-flat-packing, lucky them) and to have an evening with Snoo and the Hub on Monday (despite the failure of the Wii to provide entertainment!). Not to mention that the ever wonderful Mr and Mrs SD came to help us move in (and brought us a spare fridge, as you do). But I want to see them more! I want to share car journeys to and from work with Mrs SD like we used to. I want to bump into the Hub on the crescent as we go to work in the mornings or come home in the evenings. I want to know that d/w is just down the road (even if, actually, I've probably spoken to her more in the past few months than we ever used to manage then!). No one lives where they used to anymore (if that makes any sense), that era has finished but...
I don't mean to be a big whinger. I've already been round to someone's house in this new city, a very kind and friendly older couple who took care of me on Sunday when I explored a strange new church (it was very different for me, I'm unlikely to settle there but it was a very refreshing change) and I know that I will find more people here. I know I'll meet them and they will be fabulous...I just don't want to have to leave any more people!
All the people in the Hutt that we've left behind, the people we've now left in Carlisle (admittedly with a couple of them it is just the case that we got in first, another few months and they'd've left us), all the people scattered across the UK...would you all like to come and live down the round from me again please? Thank you very much
xxx

5 comments:

Amy said...

I would like to, honest! Mwah! xx

doctor/woman said...

yes I think I would quite enjoy york too. I miss you too, but it was very nice to be able to see you at 12 hours notice last w/e and know that you are close again. better than halfway round the world!

Mad Medea said...

you're helping us sort out our final destintion.... now you just have to promise not to move!

Anonymous said...

I don't know which is harder... moving as often as I do and not really building friendships to miss, or or moving as often as you and have a load of people you've built up good relationships with in every town.
You were right about the reason for which most of that stuff was bought. I maybe could have done with someone like you to talk to... But yeah, rah boing...
I'm quite tired and emotional as you might expect, and on my way to where I'm working tomorrow... I should probably email you or something...

AdventuringJen said...

(I've tried leaving replies once already but my internet died...maybe they'll still appear...but if not I roughly said...)
welshy - excellent! I look forward to it! ;) xxx
d/w - it was great, we must do it again soon! We have even made almost all the furniture now!
mm - no promises yet as well you know but soon...soon...
suncloud - hope you are at least a little recovered and that work is ok!
yes, I'm not sure which is worst...I guess "my" method has more acute pain on leaving places, "yours" has more long term discomfort on never being settled. Shall we stop doing either ot them?!