Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Entirely Impossible...

...but we did it!
We found out on Friday that we could move into our new house on Tuesday. We had to be out of our old house on Saturday morning so had a brief spell back at the in-laws (which included MiL's birthday, good timing! And good time). Then Tuesday morning we set off with a full van, a fairly full car and here we are in another new city. In a house full of boxes (thank goodness there is a sofa to sit on...there isn't anything else to sit on!) Husbink had to start work this morning (at 7.15am...which isn't too rude in the grand scheme of things but seems very rude for a first day). I'm not sure it is going well which is a little concerning but I think it is only not going well in an induction-days-are-soul-destroyers kind of way.
I have shifted boxes as much as possible. Washed up a lot of newsprint covered items. Pondered how we are going to fit all our kitchen stuff (and food) into the kitchen. It is a very good kitchen for surface space but not so much for cupboards...hmm.
Then I went to Asda. Turns out that Asda here is in a HUGE shopping complex which was really scary and confusing when the whole place is still scary and confusing. And then of course I had the whole "there's nothing to make you homesick like a supermarket" moment though I don't really know where I'm homesick for. Still, I managed to not actually cry...
And just now, I'm taking a little break and so in the sunshine. The most incredible rain is falling. I've actually had to check a couple of times to make sure it isn't properly flooding the yard, cos it is almost a pond already...

6 comments:

Amy said...

I know the rain is not good and the induction thing might be nasty but I still feel "Woop" is a good response to this! :) Big love! xx

Mad Medea said...

Well done sweetheart - you made it!

Anonymous said...

Yay! and Rah...

I found my local ASDA confusing last night (and I've been there before)... I went in for some toilet roll and maybe something to eat for today.

I came out with 3 outdoor games, a bobbly light up fish thing, pack of needles, a duvet and pillow, a bedding set, PVA glue, needles, a Bop It...

Hope you settle into the 2 best town in Yorkshire well...

doctor/woman said...

Well done you 2! Hope the sun comes out and the induction day ceases. happy that you are back in the same county

Ellie said...

I know what you mean about supermarkets. It's the realisation that something so familiar that you don't even think about it in any conscious way can suddenly be so strange.

For you it must be doubly hard, for not only have you got used to Kiwi supermarkets (but that's ok, because it still feels like coming home to a British one) but the British one that you have come home to is completely unfamiliar. So, you're left with a supermarket you don't know your way around, but feel that you should, looking for items that it takes you several minutes to realise are not even sold in that country.

Of course, I could be wrong :/

Yay for the new house though :) Hope all goes well and the induction day blues pass quickly
x

AdventuringJen said...

le welsh - yup, I think woop is the response!!! xxxx
MM - thank you :)
suncloud - Hmmm, I suspect your supermarket confusion has a fairly obvious source given your shopping list! For the first time in a few years, I'm really rather jealous and I wish I was there
d/w - I'm happy about that too :) great to have seen you already! hurrah!
ellie - absolutely :) I've actually chickened out a couple of times already this week and put of shopping but it has to happen this afternoon!