Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Harrowed

The past two evenings, we have watched two films, one at home one at the cinema.
At home on Monday night we got round to watching The Last King of Scotland. Excellently done, very engrossing and very distressing (though perhaps not really as distressing as Hotel Rwanda because it was much more focussed on the effect on one man, not on the country as a whole). I didn't watch about ten minutes of it - I looked away briefly and Husbink decided to hide my eyes for a long time which was pretty alarming. I don't tend to look away from gruesome things in films (perhaps just not look too closely) but I do trust Husbink if he concludes I'd much rather not see.
Anyway, at the end of the film it took us a good forty minutes or so to calm down enough to go to bed and well, it wasn't the best sleep I've ever had.
Then last night we went to see The Dark Knight. I must confess I was not in the mood - for a film or the cinema at all and certainly not for this film. I vaguely suggested we went to see the third Mummy film instead but knew Husbink had been waiting for ages to see this film so...
It was good - in the sense that it was a well made, well done, good film. Heath Ledger was very impressive (though mainly I have to say when you compare various of his roles - this is the same person who played the near silent cowboy of Brokeback Mountain and the same person who played such an "easy" character in A Knight's Tale...that is what makes this such a good performance for me). Christian Bale was good. Michal Caine was good. Morgan Freeman was good. They were all good. But I found it disturbing and disgusting. Not disturbing and disgusting in that what I saw disturbed and disgusted me but I wonder why someone thought they'd make that film? It is dark, dark, dark.
Various people I know read a lot of Iain M Banks and Iain Banks books. I enjoy several of his lighter hearted books but some are just too dark. One in particular I remember finishing and thinking "why did he do that? why did he have to turn out all the lights?" because you are left with absolutely no hope. I said to my brother "why didn't he just let this one thing be different?" and he responded, "because then you could have hope".
The Dark Knight didn't wipe out hope, in fact Batman seems to really believe in hope like I do. The overall message of this film is not the dark despair that a lack of hope brings, that is not the problem here. I simply found it overwhelming that someone thought that this was ok as entertainment - the implied grossness being the least of the problems in many ways.
I dunno. As I say, I didn't want to go. I wasn't in a good mood. I'd already been hounded by The Last King of Scotland the night before. It is a good film. Husbink enjoyed it. Chances are, I'll watch it again sometime. I certainly wouldn't advise you against seeing it. But why would you make it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because people will pay to see it...
The question I want to know is 'Why take your kids to see it?' or 'Why does the BBFC feel it appropriate to let kids see it?'

Mad Medea said...

You can't say i didn't warn you honey..... I think the most distubing thing in this film isn't its darkness, or the 'implied violence' (sometimes so much worse than actual violence).... I think its the fact that the 'good guys' are just up against sheer madness. The bad guy doesn't want money or power, he just wants to cause chaos, pain and suffering. And although that makes it hard to see a 'point' to the film.... there are bad men like that in the real world so it might have a point right there....

P.S. I've avoided putting 'The Last King of Scotland' on my rental list for the harrowingness.... I'm sure I'll watch it one day... but maybe I don't want to pay for that experience

doctor/woman said...

It is very dark, and partly because it leaves you disoriented about what might happen next - the usual superhero movie rules don't seem to apply. which might be a good thing in a way... I just couldn't believe it was only a 12A! Implied violence is normally just as bad for me as actual violence, because it still happens in my head. I did kind of enjoy the film though.
Am avoiding the Last King of Scotland though, as I have been told it's got torture in it, and that's one thing I just don't cope at all well with.