Monday, April 30, 2007

Temping

Today and last Friday, I had two one-off days of temping, doing reception duties for two very different companies. Both of them lacked in actual work to do and so I've done rather a lot of sudoku...
On Friday, it was super organised and all laid out very well and generally friendly and easy to deal with and so on. But due to the nature of the company I was working for, I will never return there. (I had accepted the job before registering the name of the company...let's just say it had "tobacco" in it...). I spent the entire day having to bite my tongue and not ask the staff how they slept at night...
Today was a shambles. They weren't at all prepared for someone coming in. They didn't have a phone list in anything resembling a sane order, the only information they had was written by a previous temp... Fortunately, all the visitors who came seemed to know what they were doing which was a great relief!
I think though, like waitressing, I was not built to be a receptionist. This is not something that surprises me.

6 comments:

Mad Medea said...

Oh dear... but think how many bottles of wine you can buy with two days wages!

Ruth said...

Well, if anything you'll have more stories for dinner parties...

Love ya,
Ruth

Amy said...

I don't think I was really cut out for receptionisting either. I only lasted one day before I wanted my flat shoes back ;) xx

AdventuringJen said...

MM - heh heh! Though I think it is actually a hair cut and new bras!
Ruth - Indeed! Though you know me, I more need to shut up than have more excuses to talk...
Welshy - I got to keep reasonably flat shoes on! Though I'm not sure the first place thought my skirt/shirt/jumper combo was smart enough...think I needed a suit...

doctor/woman said...

Don't you have to have either no brains or a desire to make life as difficult as possible for everyone around you to be cut out to be a receptionist?? (sorry I haven't been taking the pills this morning and cannot be held responsible for what I say) xx

AdventuringJen said...

Oh dear! Have you had an "incident"? I have to really build myself up before ringing my GP at the moment. Not because of the GP (as in previous posts!) but because of the super bizarre receptionists!