Monday, March 19, 2007

Lacking in...

...all kinds of things, but most of all inspiration. Because I'm a little low at the moment (it is a little more wide ranging than the MMC thing but not really definable...or all that interesting so I'll just keep moving...), I've been struggling to blog this last week. A few times, I've started posts (about such things as british comedy and cultural icons) and then binned them. I've read lots of other blogs this week, many of which I've thoroughly enjoyed (you've all been having a highly inspired week, good on ya!) and have been highly tempted to pinch ideas from a good range of blogs. Which leads me, slightly roundaboutly, to a question of blog etiquette*...
Mostly, I write this as a means of keeping in touch with people I know. Mostly, I only read the blogs of people I know. However, I have started to read blogs of people I don't know. In some instances this is through "blog hopping" - following links and reading what I come across. I am unlikely to regularly start reading these blogs. But there are a few blogs that I have started to read where I don't know the authors. And I also read these blogs silently - as in, I don't comment, I have not introduced myself. So my question is, what is the etiquette here? Should people introduce themselves when they start reading a random blog? I know there are a number of people that I do know who read this and don't comment and that is absolutely fine, but is it different when you don't know the person? (Oh, and if I do have any silent readers that I don't know, I don't mind at all, feel free to continue!)

*I don't imagine there is such a thing as blog etiquette...however, I have become aware from being in a different country, that I am a whole heap more "British" than I thought...I find people who don't queue for buses, who don't say please and thank you, who are generally not "polite" almost intolerable at times! The fact that they might be more open or more welcoming can at times be neither here nor there. And so I'm crying out for some social rules in my life. ;)

8 comments:

Steph/ven said...

The internet is basically a massive city street filled with people wandering around this way and that. Posting something on the blog is analogous to being one of those street preachers who shouts out his evangelistic message - most people will just ignore you, but you have no control over who might take notice, or what their reactions might be. If you want privacy, there are ways and means of achieving this.

Likewise, posting comments on the blogs of strangers is akin to speaking to a random person in the street. Although, it's actually easier, because you don't have to see the look of creeped-out horror cross their face as they scurry away as fast as their legs will carry them. (Um, not that that's ever happened to me...)

As for me, there are five blogs I check daily. One of these hasn't been updated in a year, so will be dropped when next I prune my favourites, and a second hasn't been updated in a couple of months so might also get the chop. Juliet and Chris are family, so I'm entitled. That leaves Welsherella's blog, which was linked to by Chris, so she can blame him.

There are a few other blogs I read occasionally, which were linked either by Chris or Welsherella, including this one. I typically read these when I'm bored (sorry), and I tend not to comment. Except when I do.

As for manners, and Britishness, I visited the States a couple of years ago for two weeks, and was absolutely shocked and horrified at the lack of manners. In particular, I quickly realised that it just wasn't the done thing to say 'please' or 'thank you' to a person who was just doing their job, such as the waiter in a restaurant. Naturally, I balked at adopting this policy, and as a result got considerably better service than everyone else wherever I went. Plus, the startled look of the girl in McDonalds when I thanked her was priceless!

AdventuringJen said...

Tee hee hee! I like the analogy. Perhaps with my usual audience of people I know, it is more like standing on a street corner talking very loudly with my friends and not minding at all if people overhear or come to join in... That may just be because I'd prefer to distance myself from street evangelists (which is a whole other interesting debate)!

When we were in the States on the way here, the thing we found weirdest was the whole tipping culture. You can no longer compliment someone for good service with a tip as it is so compulsory (I guess you could still choose to snub bad service) - perhaps though, as you say, it makes saying "thank you" a whole heap more valued.

Pomgirl said...

I think when I first started blogging I broke lots of Blogging Etiquette.

Blogging can be quite cliquey, and some blogs definitely have cliques around them that don't welcome 'outsiders'. I've tended to avoid blogs like that.

Generally I would say just comment, bloggers love comments :)

doctor/woman said...

I am also wondering about this, as like you, have recently branched out to read the blogs of people I don't know. Feel that perhaps it is nice to leave an occasional comment - as pomgirl says - bloggers do love comments. But my problem is, do you just come straight in with a comment, or do you say "hello, you don't know me but.." And with someone you know, even if you don't have a comment on the content, you can just say "hi, don't let it get you down" or something. On a new blog you feel compelled to say something intelligent pertinent and witty and most of the time I can't think of anything like that. Any tips? from anyone more experienced at this than me? (which is most people)

AdventuringJen said...

Pom - 'tis true, comments are great! :) Cliques should always be avoided. Hmm, I hope I haven't built one here!
d/w - I know exactly what you mean! Particularly if you've followed a link should you say "I got here from so-and-so's blog"?! And yes, the need to be profound or witty or at least say something worth saying is a big pressure. Perhaps I shall go and try to comment on a random blog now...

SuzySnoo said...

Blog ettiquite is a funny thing. People have different ideas of what is rude or not. For example, some people never reply to comments left on their blogs, some find it rude not to.

Reading without commenting is called lurking, and it's perfectly acceptable. It's done all the time. Blogs are there to be read, and bloggers like readers. Although bloggers do like commenters more!

I find its best to comment on a new blog when a post comes along that you feel especially interested in, or have something to say. If you really want to comment but have nothing to say, a good starting point is simply "nice blog". I've never found anyone actually 'introduce' themselves. And mentioning a link you followed is a nice thing to add, it's always good to know those links are working!

Also, commenting on new blogs is probably the best way of getting new readers, especially if you end up visiting and commenting regularly.

I reckon try it. The worst that could happen is you end up getting ignored! Or you could make some new friends. All my blogging friends were made that way.
Thats my take.
:)

AdventuringJen said...

ah snoo, lovely to see you. :) and thank you for advice too!
xxx

Ellie said...

I started blogging because it seemed an easier way to keep in touch with people whilst I was abroad. Rather than fill people's inboxes with round robins I write and those who wish to can come and read me. I know what you mean about wondering whether to comment on random blogs that I read sometimes but I know that when people I don't know comment on my blog (especially when they say something nice!) I get a nice feeling that someone, somewhere out there, is taking even a tiny bit of notice. I should comment more (and if you don't mind will add a link to your blog when next I get round to updating my template - something I keep meaning to do but never quite manage) and resolve to speak to more people on the street!

Also I wouldn't worry, you've not built a clique here! I do wonder though how many of us are connected via Welsherella in some way or another? :)

x