Friday, February 27, 2009

Truthfulness

Truthfully, I enjoy my job about two thirds of the time. The other third tends to be pretty frustrating, irritating and silly. In the non-good sense. Two-thirds enjoyment isn't bad I think.
Truthfully, however much I might enjoy it at times, it is not enough. Over Christmas, it was enough. I love meeting that many people and doing things to help them - even if it is helping them part with cash that perhaps some of them should not part with. Hmm.
Truthfully, I love tutoring. My students are fab. They make me laugh but they are also learning which is so exciting and encouraging. I was fearful for one of them quite recently. I really didn't think she was going to improve but now we are getting somewhere and I hope she will get the grade she needs to do the almost entirely non-maths course she wants to do next year.
Truthfully, this city is ok. It is very beautiful. There are some fun things to do. People are superficially friendly.
Truthfully, we do not have any proper friends here. A few of my colleagues are heading that way - they are lovely people, they just aren't quite proper friends yet.
Truthfully, I'm sick of churches. I wondered the other day if I was having a crisis of faith but I realised I'm not. It is simply a crisis of church. This is surprising to me. I have always been very pro-church. A lot of people are unsure whether church is vital to faith. I have always said yes, yes, yes! But now, I'm sick of churches. I know there are 'alternative' churches out there but they have yet to fill me with joy either. This is truthful, but perhaps not the full story, being such a small space.
Truthfully, I'd rather not be here. I would still rather be on the other side of the world. I'm sorry. I've tried. It has been a year. More than. I'd really like to be able to say "that was nice but it is over, this is now, this is good" but I can't. I'd still much rather be there. That doesn't mean it would be the right thing or indeed that we shall ever live there again. It certainly won't be the case for another six and a half years.
Truthfully, there are people I miss all over the world now. There is never going to be a place to live where I don't miss someone. And that's not a bad thing, actually.
Truthfully, I'm sick of my body. (skip this if you don't want to know...) Bleeding all the time (or what feels like all the time, there are very little gaps) is depressing. It is also tiring. It also requires me to eat more red meat than normal. And more fruit (which is a little less obvious). Cysts are no fun either. They at least don't happen quite so much of the time but they really hurt when they do. And then when they burst...that's really no fun.
Truthfully, I don't know what I'm waiting for. I've been playing at waiting for so long - waiting for Husbink to finish uni, waiting to be settled into married life, waiting for a good time, waiting for some stability. I thought I was waiting for babies now but see above, I can't pretend to be waiting for babies just at the moment. So what am I waiting for? And when I stop waiting, what is it I'm actually going to be doing? The waiting takes the ideas away and I have to stop it.
Truthfully, most of the time, I'm ok. I'm alright. I'm quite happy really. But the health stuff takes it out of me which when combined with the church stuff and the waiting stuff make it hard to pull myself together at times.
Truthfully, at moments like the end of the last paragraph, I realise how very British I am. I do believe, in one way or another, in the stiff upper lip. Pip pip!

5 comments:

doctor/woman said...

am saying some prayers for you as I read this, and sending you lots of love xxx

Mad Medea said...

*big hugs*..... come and visit if you fancy a change of scene...I need to take some time off and you'd give me an excellent excuse!

Amy said...

Truthfully... I wish I could be as brave as you are in posting this. Sending lots of hugs and knee-strokes and similar offers to Mad Medea; I have some time off in a couple of weeks; maybe we can meet up then?
I'm so sorry you feel all of these things but feel sure that we could have a really good discussion over crumpets :) love you lots xxx

PS: word verification 'mogres'; just made me giggle as I imagined Shrek-like creatures but perhaps knitting or something... xxxx

AdventuringJen said...

d/w thank you :) I hope we'll meet up soon... xxx
MM - sounds good. At the moment I can't get my head round plans but have this vague idea that April and May will be better! I would seriously like to give you that excuse - take time off girl! xxx
welshy - mogres has made my day - so much so that I want to start a new blog (or whatever) so it can be my name or its name or something! When is your time off? I'm sure we can find one day that coincides even if we did a meet half way thing?!xxx

Unsure said...

Truthfully I really feel for you, and am praying for you...
Truthfully I wish I could be this honest myself...

Suncloud